Sunday, August 16, 2009

Morning Grace


I HATE mornings. Even as a baby, I slept until 9 a.m. Throughout my school years (and this includes high school), my mom literally rolled me out of bed onto the floor to get me moving. In college, I rarely took a class before 10 a.m. Even now, getting out of bed by 9 a.m. is a challenge.

So, of course, I had to pick a hobby (running) that requires me to get up at an ungodly hour every Saturday morning. I usually set my alarm to go off about an hour and half before I need to leave, in the hopes that I may actually wake up and get out of bed on time.

Yesterday morning, the alarm was set for 6:30 a.m. I was meeting my friends at 7:45 a.m. The alarm went off as scheduled--and I promptly turned it off, pulled the covers over my eyes and went back to sleep. Until 8:05 a.m.

Like most mornings, it was tempting to sleep in. To shade my weary eyes from the sun, to leave my tired limbs--already aching from 12 miles run in the previous four days--where they were. I really, really didn't want to get out of bed, let alone run 12 miles. And then I looked down at the pink bracelet on my wrist, and I bounded out of bed, threw on my running clothes and was out of the house in under ten minutes.

I'd worn this bracelet for two years and one day--starting the day of the Team in Training kickoff meeting for the Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon, and the day I met Kate. This bracelet--worn by not just by me, but my my teammates and dozens of Kate's family and friends--is inscribed with the words "Kisses for Kate," and is our way of showing solidarity and support for Kate and her family.

And yesterday was the day we were celebrating the fact that Kate--at the tender age of seven--had survived two years, two months and three days worth of chemotherapy to kill the leukemia that ravaged her little body. And survive, she did. With grace and strength and charm beyond her years.

It was not a day to sleep in, but to celebrate Kate, her journey and her triumph. And for me, that meant running 12 miles--gratefully, joyfully, humbly--in her honor.

3 comments:

  1. I knew you were running in honor of a little girl but I didn't really know the story so I clicked on the hyperlinked word "Kate" and read. I could write all morning on how I feel right now after reading this. It's just wrong that she and her mom even have to know all the medical verbiage that is now a part of their vocabulary. I'm tired today because I just returned from a fabulous vacation - and suddenly I realize that my 'tired' is one that Kate and her mom would trade me for any day - my perspective has been given a huge jolt. I'm proud of you, Laura, for getting up and running and honoring your gift of health for such a beautiful child. Bless you! Bless Kate....and all who hold her in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sometimes all it takes to do the unbearable/ unthinkable/ undesirable is have a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece...motivation comes in many shapes and sizes and your blog entry should inspire those who read it to pick something that will focus and motivate them.

    Keep writing and running!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin