Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Confessions of an Over-Committer

I have a commitment problem.  I'm a habitual over-committer.

I come by it rightly--my mother is a serial volunteer.  She doesn't just join committees--she chairs them.  And while she hasn't had a full-time job since I was born, the woman logs more weekly hours than a Fortune 500 CEO.

As an entrepreneur in the business of public relations, the commitments can be overwhelming.  I feel obligated to say yes to every opportunity--every lunch with a new friend, every charity event, every PR committee--not only because they could lead to new connections and new business, but also because I love meeting interesting new people (free food and drinks don't hurt, either)!  While an endless stream of networking events, parties and restaurant openings, workshops and conferences may sound glamorous to some people, when they're sandwiched in between client meetings, conference calls, marathon training, being a wife and--oh yes--doing actual work for my clients--they can be exhausting.  And for those of you in the business of self-promotion, you know that while a non-stop agenda can be extremely energizing, even the most extroverted people have difficulty being "on" for extended periods of time.  By the fifth meeting of the day, I'm dying to ditch the heels, scrub off my makeup and slip into a pair of flannel pajamas, curl up with the remote and catch up on Mad Men (and no, I haven't finished watching Season Three, so please, no spoilers)!

So this week, I'm on a detox program.  Other than meals with dear friends and essential clients meetings, I'm staying home.  Spending quality time with my husband.  Resting up for my 20 mile run this weekend.  Keeping my long overdue date with Don Draper.  Dreaming and conserving energy for the next phase of this weary publicist's crazy life.

 
<---P.S. Dear Santa: I'd like these for Christmas.  xoxo, TWP


6 comments:

  1. This is a commonality among us PR folk... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going on a similar diet for the next couple of weeks (though I have already filled most of the calendar...)

    rest well,
    Oana

    PS: wanna have lunch? just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the overdose plan this week, but would like to learn more about the detox? I can't remember the last time I watched Bravo when my shows are scheduled to air. Teach me everything you learned wise one...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! OK...I'm worn out from your schedule. I'm glad you're wise enough to know when you should take a hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a conversation Eric and I just had recently. Even though I am a stay at home wife, I realized that I had spread myself way too thin with all my social commitments when all I wanted to do on some days was sit in jammies cuddling the dogs (and the husband). "Me" time is essential to your well-being.

    That being said, I'm looking forward to our two lunch Friday tomorrow. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not normally a fan of any kind of diet but this one I approve of wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin