Monday, June 8, 2009

A Day in the Life


So, my routine when I had a "normal" job went something like this:

6:30am- hit snooze
6:45am-hit snooze again
7:00am-and again
7:15am-give in, get out of bed
9:00am-wonder why the hell it took me nearly two hours to get ready
9:30am-arrive at work (which officially commenced at 8:30 or 9:00am); blame traffic for tardy arrival
9:35am-catch up on the latest news, i.e. people.com, ew.com, tvguide.com and on occasion, nytimes.com
10:35am-pretend to work; try not to fall asleep at desk
11:00am-get hungry, eat snack
11:15am-finally start working
2:15pm-nearly pass out; grab some lunch; catch up on more "news"
2:45pm-see 10:35am
4:15pm--panic, start working furiously
8:00pm-shut down the office, hope I've gotten eight hours of work in
8:15pm-run or hit the gym for a Pilates class
9:30pm-eat dinner, drink wine, catch up on the DVR
11:30pm-postpone the inevitable by emailing and IMing friends, surfing random websites and trying not to pass out on my laptop
12:30am-acquiesce, go to bed, read
1:00am-turn off the lights
2:00am-sleep (on a good night); rinse and repeat

It's no wonder I was exhausted all the time. I'm just not a morning person, nor do I do well sitting at a desk all day. It is kind of presumptive to assume that everyone works his or her best between the hours of 9am and 5pm (cue Dolly Parton music). Or that we enjoy attending meetings during our free time (i.e. lunch) and taking notes and shaking hands with greasy fingers. Or that two hour conference calls are the most productive use of our time. While some people thrive on rigidness and boundaries, I am not one of them.

These days, I start my days around 10am (on a good day), after a full 8-10 hours of sleep. I get my workout done in the morning, my errands run in early afternoon and settle in for my workday around 3pm. I have plenty of time for scheduling lunches and drinks with friends, for spending time with my husband, for running and most importantly, sleep. In fact, it's amazing what I can accomplish when I set my own agenda. The days are still long and hard, but I choose how I spend them and whom I want to spend them with.

In other words, I have the best boss ever.

3 comments:

  1. That is ABSOLUTELY my story. What is UP with the 8:30-5:30 routine anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right with you. Waking up at 10 is even sometimes a challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin