Monday, July 13, 2009

Less is More


My husband and I spent the weekend budgeting, which is about as fun as a trip to the dentist or gynecologist. Although I've known deep down that grand vacations and shopping sprees are luxuries of the past, it's quite different to see those numbers in black and white. Or red, as the case may be.

In the midst of my "woe is me" moment, I read my friend Jim Osterman's most recent Facebook post, "Leukemia is Recession Proof." And he's right. Leukemia is recession proof. Poverty is recession proof. Hunger is recession proof. Suffering is recession proof.

And as I thought about my "sacrifices"--fewer dinners out, vacations closer to home, shopping at Old Navy instead of Saks--I realized how incredibly spoiled and blessed I am. How insignificant these "sacrifices" are in comparison to those battling illness, poverty, hunger, abuse, oppression. How instead of complaining about how little I have, to remember my blessings and to share those with others. Time, heart, spirit, support, love, prayer, kindness. In gratitude for all I have been given and all I still have to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I think it is your best one yet. Super funny, then super endearing and with a wonderful message that puts all things into perspective. Way to go, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin