Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I Took a Vacation So I Could Work

Yes, I recognize the irony of posting a blog about not hiding and then essentially going into hiding.  For two weeks.

I'll be honest--I wasn't well.  I was overwhelmed, depressed and physically and emotionally exhausted.  I had given others so much from my own well that mine was completely dry.  

When you're a solopreneur, taking time off seems impossible.  Indulgent.  Incomprehensible.

Until you find yourself like I did last month--completely worn-out, anxious, bone-tired and completely useless to myself, my clients, my friends and my family.

So, I took a break.  A REAL break.  Four days of nothing but amazing food, people and experiences.  I stopped trying to control and plan and manipulate every single second, step, decision, workout.  I stopped trying to "power through" and let my mind and my body rest.  Of course, my definition of "rest" included a 10K race!  But my approach was different.  It was quiet, meditative, open--more about the experience and my energy and effort rather than some must hit or I'll-wallow-in-self-pity-for-two-weeks-because-I-clearly-suck time goal.

So, here I am, rested, peaceful and determined, diving into the second half of my year determined to figure out the meaning of this unfamiliar concept called "balance."

8 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Do I hear you load and clear. As solepreneurs, our job is never complete. You should see my office floor.

    Congrats again on the 10K on the 4th...proud of you.

    And hats off for vacations (if there is such a thing :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I read you loud and clear. I am contemplating doing the exact same thing next week. Between the Social Media Experiment and running my business my well has run dry too.

    Vacation is very important for mental health. Drive is wonderful, but it can drive you down too if you let it.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATS on a great vacation! I am usually eating and sleeping Black Tie even on vacation. It's nuts. I know, but I can't unplug. But truth be told. Our business is a New Born and it needs all our attention. I can't wait until it becomes a fully functioning adult able to live on its own without us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, we have all been there. and it takes others to sometimes point out to you that it is time for a break. stop to smell the roses, the air you are breathing with every step of your run. value our independence to hear , feel,and be solopreneurs.

    i am happy to hear you gave yourself permission to let go, only to come back stronger. now begin to plan your next one. if you are not balanced; your clients, work and the rest of your life you worked so hard to create will suffer.

    stay strong, and it seems you are on your way to find your perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to take some time off and great job with the Peachtree!

    xo,
    Sara
    www.travelsinheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you took a break & it's always inspiring to me to take time to take care of myself. Welcome back though! :-) I always love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This doesn't sound strange or ironic or weird -- I totally get it and I am so happy for you and proud of you that you did what you needed when you needed it. We are totally useless to ourselves and others when we don't have what we need physically, emotionally and otherwise. It is not selfish or stupid -- it is smart and actually selfless.
    So I love you and can't wait to hear about all of the awesomeness of the second half of your year!

    xo ~ Alli

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is great that you took the time! It is SO necessary at times... Hope it helped and welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin