Friday, September 4, 2009

Carolina in My Mind


Even though I live only one state away, I still get homesick for South Carolina. Yes, Civil War, Mark Sanford and endless fodder for late night jokes notwithstanding, I love my home state.

I recently started reading Pat Conroy's South of Broad, and I'm savoring every flawed character, every nuanced turn of phrase, every classically picturesque setting. No one evokes the spirit, the essence, the guts and soul of South Carolina and its people like Pat Conroy. Throw in a peach (say what you will, but South Carolina is the true "peach state"), James Taylor (even if he did sing about the wrong Carolina), the movie Shag (Skyview Drive-Inn!) and some beach music (Carolina girls ARE the best in the world), and I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind.

3 comments:

  1. I love all things Carolina too. North and South. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading "South of Broad." Pat Conroy is one of my favorite authors. I was unable to put "Lords of Discipline" down. There is something special about South Carolina - I'm partial to Kiawah. @LynnATL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song is about North Carolina, not South. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo,
Laura

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin